Visit our AHA COVID-19 Newsroom for the latest COVID-19 news, experts, multimedia and information resources from the American Heart Association.
April is Move More Month, and while many people's exercise routines have been disrupted due to COVID-19, there are still ways to remain active.
Did you know?
- Almost half of U.S. adults are not active enough to maintain good health. And, about one in three adults participate in NO leisure time physical activity at all.
- Getting recommended amounts of physical activity (at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity, 75 minutes of vigorous activity, or a combination of those activities per week) is linked to lower risk of diseases, stronger bones and muscles, improved mental health and cognitive function, and lower risk of depression.
Circuits can be a great way to work out without any equipment and when you don't have access to a gym.
To build your circuit, choose 3-4 exercises from each list:
Alternate cardio and strength exercises in short bursts of 30 seconds and 3 minutes, then repeat the circuit two to three times.
- Jumping jacks
- Jumping ropes
- Jogging or marching in place
- Stair-climbing or step-ups
- High knees
- Mountain climbers
- Star jumps
Strengthening and stability exercises:
- Plank and side plank
- Sit-ups or crunches
- Hip lift or bridge position
- Tricep dips on a chair
- Squats or chair position
- Wall sits
Make Every Move Count
When you Move More every day, you can reach some pretty big goals over time. With motivation, dedication and great foot support, your small daily steps can add up to huge strides. Let your feet take you places you never thought possible!-10 minutes of stretching is like walking the length of a football field.
-2.5 hours of walking every week for a year is like walking across the state of Wyoming.
-1 hour of dancing every week for a year is like walking from Chicago to Indianapolis.
-20 minutes of vacuuming is like walking one mile.
25 Ways to Get Kids Moving at Home:
- Run in place for 30 seconds
- Dance party for 1 minute
- Stand up and sit down 10 times
- Read standing up
- Hot lava! Keep a balloon in the air without touching the ground (make it harder by only using heads or elbows
- Jumping Jacks
- Do the hokey pokey
- See how many squats you can do in 15 seconds
- Stand up, touch your toes
- Wall sit while reading
- One-minute yoga
- Stretch your hands high over your head
- Arm circles forward for 30 seconds, arm circles backward for 30 seconds
- Frog jumps
- Standing mountain climbers for 30 seconds
- Stand on one leg, put your hands up, put your hands out to the side
- 5 lunges on the right leg, 5 lunges on the left leg
- Practice spelling, do a squat for every vowel
- Run in place for 30 seconds, check your heart rate
- Practice spelling by doing a jumping jack for each letter
- 30-second plank
- Practice math problems, do a jumping jack every time the answer is an even number
- 20 leg lifts
- Ball-toss spelling practice. Toss the ball and say a letter then toss the ball to someone else to say the next letter
- High knees for 30 seconds
Important Dates in April
4/1-4/30 - Move More Month
4/1 - April Fool's Day
4/6-4/12 - National Public Health Week
4/7 - World Health Day
4/20-4/24 - Every Kid Healthy Week
4/22 - Earth Day