American Heart Association volunteer experts issue annual list of the leading heart disease and stroke research for 2022
Is getting healthier in 2023 one of your New Year’s Resolutions? Life’s Essential 8 can help with a few easy steps you can take to live a healthier lifestyle.
Be More Active
Get Healthy Sleep
Manage Blood Sugar
Manage Blood Pressure
Learn more about Life’s Essential 8 here
Check out all of Life's Essential 8 Fact Sheets here.
- Winter holidays bring more heart attack deaths than any other time of year | La temporada festiva de invierno conlleva más muertes por ataques cardíacos que cualquier otra época del año
- Snow shoveling can be hazardous to your heart | Palear la nieve puede ser peligroso para el corazón
- Extremely hot and cold days linked to cardiovascular deaths
Heart attack signs may vary in men and women and it’s important to catch them early and call 9-1-1 for help.
The sooner medical treatment begins, the better the chances of survival and preventing heart damage.
Some easy ways to stop the spread of viruses like the flu:Wash your hands often with soap and water. Rub your hands vigorously for at least 20 seconds. (About the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday.”) Remember to scrub the backs of your hands, wrists, between your fingers and under your fingernails.
Adults need shots, too: Find out which vaccines are important for heart health
January 2nd is International Mind-Body Wellness Day
Mental health can positively or negatively impact your physical health and risk factors for heart disease and stroke, according to “Psychological Health, Well-Being, and the Mind-Heart-Body Connection,” a scientific statement in the American Heart Association journal Circulation.
Stress may contribute to poor health behaviors linked to increased risk for heart disease and stroke, such as:
- Lack of physical activity
- Unhealthy diet
- Being overweight
- Not taking medications as prescribed
- 1/1/2023 - New Year’s Day
- 1/2 - International Mind-Body Wellness Day
- 1/10-16 - National Obesity Awareness Week
- 1/11 - Cigarettes are Hazardous to Your Health Day | National Take the Stairs Day
- 1/15-21 - National Healthy Weight Week
- 1/16 - Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) Day
- 1/20 - National Take a Walk Outdoors Day
- 1/27 - Holocaust Memorial Day
American Heart Association Scientific meetings:
Media Registration is now open for the International Stroke Conference 2023 - Join us for the in-person event + Virtual Experience, February 8-10, 2023 - Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center | Dallas, Texas | Media registration info and link
View the full list and links to each of the accredited scientific meetings of the American Heart Association here.