Did You Know?
- More than 7 million people have been treated through American Heart Association quality programs.
- The Association’s quality programs have produced more than 586 scientific publications and positively impacted heart and stroke care for more than 2,400 hospitals since 2001.
- Over 38% of all cardiovascular disease patient discharges in the US are covered by a Get With The Guidelines® quality improvement program.
- There are Get With The Guidelines® participating hospitals in all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. International initiatives have been launched in China, Brazil, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
Get to know some of our Quality Improvement Programs and Initiatives:
While some health issues are inevitable, many can be prevented by healthy living.
Tips for being active outdoors:
It’s best to avoid the outdoors in the early afternoon (about noon to 3 p.m.) because the sun is usually at its strongest, putting you at higher risk for heat-related illnesses.
- Get off on the right foot. You probably sweat the most in your shoes, so choose well-ventilated shoes and look for socks that repel perspiration. Foot powders and antiperspirants can also help with sweat.
- Dress for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing in breathable fabrics such as cotton, or a synthetic fabric that repels sweat. Add a hat and/or sunglasses.
- Drink up. Before you get started, apply a water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15, and reapply it every two hours. Stay hydrated by drinking a few cups of water before, during and after your exercise. Avoid caffeinated or alcoholic beverages.
- Take regular breaks. Find some shade or a cool place, stop for a few minutes, hydrate and start again.
Important Dates in July
7/1-7/31- Quality Improvement Month
7/1-7/31 UV Awareness Month
7/4- Independence Day
7/15-7/21- National Youth Sports Week
7/28- World Hepatitis Day
7/28- National Parents Day