From Science to Action: Implementing Knowledge for Healthy Hearts
The American Heart Association’s Epidemiology, Prevention, Lifestyle & Cardiometabolic Health Scientific Sessions 2023
Feb. 28–March 3, 2023 at the Omni Boston Hotel at the Seaport in Boston, MA. #EPILifestyle23
EPI Lifestyle 2023 Programming | Schedule at a Glance (PDF)
News from EPI | Lifestyle:
- Depressive & anxiety symptoms linked to vaping nicotine and THC in teens and young adults #EPILifestyle23
- Higher levels of perceived racism linked to increased risk of coronary heart disease in Black women#EPILifestyle23
- For older adults, every 500 additional steps taken daily associated with lower heart risk #EPILifestyle23
- Heart-healthy lifestyle linked to a longer life, free of chronic health conditions #EPILifestyle23
- A good night’s sleep may make it easier to stick to exercise and diet goals, study found #EPILifestyle23
Living healthier with Life's Essential 8™ The American Heart Association's Life’s Essential 8™ image is a wheel shape with 8 wedges representing the 8 elements that are essential for cardiovascular health. Infographic transcript (doc)
“Balance” is the latest word on heart-healthy eating, according to the American Heart Association Scientific Statement that encourages people to adapt broad eating habits instead of focusing on single foods — and it’s not one size fits all.
Healthy eating starts with healthy food choices. You don’t need to be a chef to create nutritious, heart-healthy meals your family will love. Learn what to look for at the grocery store, restaurants, your workplace and any eating occasion.
- For snack time, keep fresh fruit and pre-chopped or no-chop veggies on hand. Your family is more likely to grab fruits and vegetables over the other items if they're readily available.
- Enjoy fish high in omega-3 fatty acids. Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, trout and albacore tuna are good choices.
- A small handful of nuts or seeds can be a satisfying and healthy snack. Look for unsalted or lightly salted nuts. Almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, pistachios and walnuts are all good choices.
- Vegetables and fruits are loaded with nutrients and fiber, and typically low in calories and sodium. Fresh, frozen or canned produce can all be healthy choices, but compare food labels and choose wisely. Read more.
- And don't forget - Parents say family is less stressed when they eat together
Damar Hamlin's #3forheart™ CPR Challenge
Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin is launching his #3forheart™ CPR Challenge aimed at saving more lives through CPR education and training with the American Heart Association, a global force for healthier lives for all.
Hamlin’s #3forHeart™ CPR Challenge is 3 steps.1 – LEARN: Go to heart.org/3 to watch a 60-second video to learn Hands-Only CPR
2 – GIVE: Donate to the American Heart Association to fund CPR education and training, and other lifesaving programs and scientific research.
3 – SHARE: Use #3forHeart™ to challenge 3 friends to do the same on social media.
March Calendar Highlights
National Nutrition Month | American Diabetes Alert Month | Brain Injury Awareness Month
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Awareness Month | National Kidney Month | National Women’s History Month
Feb. 28 - March 3 - Epidemiology, Prevention, Lifestyle & Cardiometabolic Health Scientific Sessions 2023
March 3 - Caregiver Appreciation Day | National Anthem Day
March 4 - Employee Appreciation Day | World Obesity Day
March 4- 11 - National Salt Awareness Week
March 4-7 - International Women's Week
March 8 - International Women's Day
March 8 - National No Smoking Day
March 11 - National COVID-19 Day
March 12 - Girl Scouts Day
March 12 - Daylight Savings Time begins: Spring Forward-Move clocks up 1hr
March 13 - National Napping Day
March 13-19 - National Sleep Awareness Week | National Brain Awareness Week
March 14 - National Pi Day (3.14 is the value of Pi)
March 15 - Ides of March | Kick Butts Day (Cigarette Butts that is!)
March 16 - National Vaccination Day
March 17 - Saint Patrick's Day | World Sleep Day
March 17-18 - Holi is popularly known as the Indian "festival of spring"
March 20 - Spring (Vernal) Equinox | International Day of Happiness | International Earth Day
March 21 - Brain Injury Awareness Day
March 25-31 - National Physicians Week 25-31
March 28 - American Diabetes Association Alert Day (Fourth Tuesday in March)
March 30 - National Doctors Day
American Heart Association | American Stroke Association | About Us
Follow @HeartNews | Connect with us | Social Media Hub