Biological clock shock? “Springing forward” may have drawbacks for heart health - The American Heart Association cites studies showing increase in heart disease, stroke incidents associated with change to daylight saving time - Spanish news release
- Early menopause may raise risk of dementia later in life #EPILifestyle22
- Study finds blood pressure cuff size matters, affects blood pressure readings #EPILifestyle22
- Dietary patterns may explain differing CVD rates among Hispanic/Latino groups in U.S. #EPILifestyle22
- Diet may play a role in development of pregnancy complications among Hispanic/Latina women #EPILifestyle22
- Resistance exercise may be superior to aerobic exercise for getting better ZZZs #EPILifestyle22
- For snack time, keep fresh fruit and pre-chopped or no-chop veggies on hand. Your family is more likely to grab fruits and vegetables over the other items if they're readily available.
- Enjoy fish high in omega-3 fatty acids. Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, trout and albacore tuna are good choices.
- A small handful of nuts or seeds can be a satisfying and healthy snack. Look for unsalted or lightly salted nuts. Almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, pistachios and walnuts are all good choices.
- Vegetables and fruits are loaded with nutrients and fiber, and typically low in calories and sodium. Fresh, frozen or canned produce can all be healthy choices, but compare food labels and choose wisely. Read more.
Healthy eating starts with healthy food choices. You don’t need to be a chef to create nutritious, heart-healthy meals your family will love. Learn what to look for at the grocery store, restaurants, your workplace and any eating occasion.
March Calendar Highlights
National Nutrition Month | American Diabetes Alert Month | Brain Injury Awareness Month
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Awareness Month | National Kidney Month
March 1 - Mardi Gras / Fat Tuesday | Maha Shivaratri | Isra and Mi'raj | World Compliment Day
March 1-4 - EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions 2022 - Chicago Hilton | Chicago, Illinois | #EPILifestyle22
March 2 - Ash Wednesday
March 3 - Caregiver Appreciation Day | National Anthem Day
March 4 - Employee Appreciation Day | International (Working) Women's Day
March 12 - Girl Scouts Day
March 13 - Daylight Savings begins at 2:00 a.m. | National Sleep Awareness Week 13-19
March 14 - National Napping Day | National Pi Day (3.14 is the value of Pi) | Brain Awareness Week 14-20
March 15 - Ides of March
March 16 - Kick Butts Day (Third Wednesday in March) (Cigarette Butts that is!)
March 17 - Saint Patrick's Day
March 17-18 - Holi is popularly known as the Indian "festival of spring"
March 20 - Spring (Vernal) Equinox | International Day of Happiness | International Earth Day
March 21 - Brain Injury Awareness Day
March 22 - American Diabetes Association Alert Day (Fourth Tuesday in March)
March 25 - National Physicians Week 25-31
March 30 - National Doctors Day